This image depicted the interior of the Carville, Louisiana Leprosarium's pharmacy, located inside the hospital's infirmary. Patients who'd been given a prescription by their physician, presented them at the pharmacy window where they were filled. In this particular scene, it's unknown whether or not the pharmacist was present, but two technicians were in the process of filling patient prescriptions, one of whom was a sister. This building was constructed by the state of Louisiana in 1894, when five men and two women with "Hansen's disease" (HD), then called leprosy, were brought by barge to an abandoned sugar plantation, known only as Indian Camp, on a bend of the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Now - more than a hundred years later - the Gillis W. Long Hansen's Disease Center, now known as the National Hansen's Disease Programs, is recognized worldwide for its achievement in Hansen's disease treatment, rehabilitation, training and education."
CDC/ Elizabeth Schexnyder, National Hansen's Disease Museum, Curator
November 17, 2012