Depicted in this photograph were the "Sisters' of Charity" quarters, which housed the Sisters who were members of the leprosarium staff. Currently there are 21 Sisters on staff. The first group of four Sisters of the order founded by St. Vincent de Paul, and officially named Daughters of Charity, arrived at Carville, April 27, 1896, with Sister Beatrice Hart in charge. The sisters volunteered their services, in order to nurse the sufferers of leprosy who'd sought help at the leprosarium."Patients of the U.S. Marine Hospital in Carville, Louisiana, produced this set of 35 mm slides around 1950. In 2002, a patient's son donated the set, the only one known in existence, to the museum. The father, a patient at Carville for several years, brought these slides home around 1950 to give his family a snapshot of life at the national leprosarium. The act of quarantining patients for leprosy (HD) remained law in the state of Louisiana until 1957."
CDC/ Elizabeth Schexnyder, National Hansen's Disease Museum, Curator
November 27, 2012