This historical photograph was provided by the Center for Disease Control's (CDC), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). The image depicted an employee in a Cincinnati, Ohio lead smelting plant. Note that the worker was not using respiratory protection, and had lifted his protective face shield, therebu, further exposing himself to lead poisoning, as well as being burnt by any spattereing debris.Workers can be exposed to lead through inhalation of fumes and dusts, as well as through ingestion as a result of lead-contaminated hands, food, drinks, cosmetics, tobacco products, and clothing. Furthermore, workers can take lead home on their clothes, skin, hair, tools, and in their vehicles, potentially exposing their families to this element's harmful health effects.
CDC/ Barbara Jenkins, NIOSH
December 3, 2012