In this historic image, one of the "Sisters of Charity" was photographed as she was praying at what was known as the "Christmas Crib", on Christmas Eve. On each Christmas Eve, the entire roster of Carville, Louisiana, Leprosarium residents, including staff, and able-bodied patients attended Midnight Mass held in the Catholic Chapel. The first group of four Sisters of the order founded by St. Vincent de Paul, and officially named Daughters of Charity, arrived at Carville, April 27, 1896, with Sister Beatrice Hart in charge. The sisters volunteered their services, in order to nurse the sufferers of leprosy who'd sought help at the leprosarium.
CDC/ Elizabeth Schexnyder, National Hansen's Disease Museum, Curator
December 4, 2012