This historic image depicted a funeral on the grounds of the Carville, Louisiana Leprosarium, in honor of Sister Zoe, the only member of the Sisters of Charity who'd wanted to be buried in the same cemetery amongst those for whom she'd cared while they were patients at the facility. This graveyard was located on the grounds of the hospital. Currently there are 21 Sisters on staff. The first group of four Sisters of the order founded by St. Vincent de Paul, and officially named Daughters of Charity, arrived at Carville, April 27, 1896, with Sister Beatrice Hart in charge. The sisters volunteered their services, in order to nurse the sufferers of leprosy who'd sought help at the leprosarium. Between 1894 and 1922, there were 125 patient deaths, all of whom were buried on the grounds of the leprosarium. The hospital was a self-contained compound with its own storehouse, laundry, food-processing facilities, patient treatment centers, recreational facilities, and cemetery.
CDC/ Elizabeth Schexnyder, National Hansen's Disease Museum, Curator
December 4, 2012